Friday 25 May 2012

Dirk Bogarde Letters from Le Haut Clermont



To Bee Gilbert, Clermont, 13 September, 1976

Dearest Sno'

What a lovely long letter to cheer me up on my return, three days ago, from a hellish week of looping in Paris. I got there to find that I had to loop the entire f---ing film... 200 loops. The sound engineers were dreadful (from Telly natch) and the birds, dogs and airoplanes which scattered across the locations screwd us up even more. Well... it is done now. Am home again for a couple of weeks before returning to Old Father Attenboroughs Disney-Arnhem. Which I dread. Ah well. It will make a bomb, with all those Stars how can it fail? Adored Sean C and worked very happily indeed with him... and made a surprising new mate in Ryan O'Neil who could not be nicer, jollier and brighter! That WAS a surprise. Tote says it was because he was so bloody respectful to me all the time... but I just liked the bloke. And he's good too. And THAT was a surprise. Gene Hackman was a bit Methody and got cross if the camera operator was on the set while he was rehearsing... but was very pleasant to me and quite good, not more, when it came to the Acting.

Mike Cain pulled the Movie Star bit a bit much... the big cigar, black glasses and fat Cadillac... but he was pleasant if dull and has to have the ugliest voice in the business... and pop eyes. And that was a surprise too. I dont think I could go through it again for anything. Even the lolly. A woman from The New York Times ruefully mumbled that doing something as crappy for so much loot left 'a kind of stain.' I wonder if she was right. Holland was hell. Apart from the van Goghs, Rembrants and the Vermeers it is all a lot of crappy horror... We stayed in a 'dainty' little hotel in a wood where dinner started at 6.30pm and was off at 8.45. THAT went down like a cup of cold sick as you may imagine. Especially as the prices were identicle to the Lancaster in Paris! However we had three weeks there and flew back on a beastly Caravelle, which bounced all the way to Nice...

We have had, unlike you, a soaking summer... everything green and lush... while the great trees in the Luxumbourg Gardens are all dead. And now Tote is out mowing acres of white daisies and autumn crocus and I think I'd better go and help him... regretfully. I am so lazy and full of reaction... odd.

God bless you, pretty Sno... all love as ever for ever... as you know.

Sno.

YoR

Dirk.